This recipe is super quick and easy. I’m glad I found my Smoker and all it’s pieces because I will be doing this recipe several times this summer!
FYI, this is a great recipe for a party with loads of people who want to help out with the cooking. One person can prep the shrimp, one person can season the shrimp and the next person can wrap the prosciutto around the shrimp. Done, all that is left is the smoking and plating
We have learned at Cooking by the Book that sharing the cooking experience generally makes for a better party.
Marie’s head notes:
For convenience, look for frozen uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined but wit the tail segments intact. Shrimp are always a popular finger food, and the tail works well as a little handle. These small, delicious bites are also excellent served as a garnish for a chef’s salad. Suggested wood-chip flavors are cherry, mesquite, or apple.
Prep: 15 minutes Cook time:12 minutes Serves: 6 as an appetizer or 4 as a main course.
Implements: Rimmed Sheet Pan, Paring Knife, Stove-top Smoker, Tongs, Pepper Mill, Oven Mitts
- 1 pound frozen peeled, deveined large shrimp with tail segments intact, thawed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 8 to 10 thin slices prosciutto
- Pat frozen shrimp dry and lay them out on a rimmed sheet pan. Sprinkle each shrimp with a few grains of salt, and a grinding of pepper, and a few bits of rosemary. Turn the shrimp over and season the other side the same way.
- Separate the prosciutto slices and cut them lengthwise into ½- to ¾-inch wide strips. You need as many strips as you have shrimp. Do not trim off the fat. Wrap each shrimp with a prosciutto strip, leaving the tail exposed.
- Set up the smoker, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Place 2 tablespoons of the desired wood chips in the center of the pan, or as directed in the manufacturer’s instructions. Place the tray directly on top of the wood chips, and then place the rack on top of the tray.
- Line up ht shrimp in a orderly fashion (arranged across or lengthwise and 4 arranged down) on the rack.
- Close the smoker and turn the heat to medium, or follow manufacturer’s instructions. Set the timer for 12 minutes.
- Turn off the heat when the timer goes off. With mitted hands, open the smoker, lift the shrimp from the smoker with tongs, and arrange on a platter. Serve at once.