In Vegan in 7 you’ll discover recipes designed to make you at least consider an alternative lifestyle. You may not be a vegan candidate but that does not mean you should miss the striking vegan recipes in this book. With summer approaching full heat, with nectarines and surely peaches now appearing, here’s a lovely salad idea combining things you probably haven’t combined before: tomatoes, tarragon, nectarines and horseradish. And it’s dressed with a Savory Cashew Cream — a recipe I’ve included below. Make your summer bright and different with this distinctive dish.
Tomato, Tarragon, Nectarine and Horseradish Salad
Yield: serves 4
- 4 tomatoes [a mixture of colors if possible] cut into wedges
- 4 nectarines, sliced into wedges
- ½ cucumber, peeled, deseeded and sliced into wedges
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 batch Savory Cashew Cream
- 1 teaspoon grated horseradish
- 1 bunch of tarragon leaves, torn
In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes, nectarines, and cucumber together with the balsamic vinegar and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, stir together the cashew cream and horseradish with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Put some dollops of cream on a large plate (or individual ones), arrange the salad nicely on top, and scatter the torn tarragon leaves on top.
Savory Cashew Cream
Yield: about 2 ¼ cups
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or the juice of ½ lemon
Place the cashews, vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, and ⅔ cup water in a high-speed blender and blitz until very smooth. If you want the cream to be more liquid, add a tablespoon of water at a time to thin it out. Add other flavorings of your choice.
Store the cream in a glass container in the fridge for a maximum of three days.
Source: Vegan in 7, Delicious Plant-Based Recipes in 7 Ingredients or Less by Rita Serano [Kyle Books, 2018]