In Vegan in 7 you’ll discover recipes designed to make you at least consider an alternative lifestyle. You may not be a vegan candidate but that does not mean you should miss the striking and delightful recipes in this book. With summer approaching full heat, with nectarines and surely peaches now appearing, here’s a lovely salad idea combining things you probably haven’t combined before: tomatoes, tarragon, nectarines and horseradish. And it’s dressed with a Savory Cashew Cream — a recipe I’ve included below. Make your summer bright and different with this distinctive dish.
Tomato, Tarragon, Nectarine and Horseradish Salad
Yield: serves 4
- 4 tomatoes [a mixture of colors if possible] cut into wedges
- 4 nectarines, sliced into wedges
- ½ cucumber, peeled, deseeded and sliced into wedges
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 batch Savory Cashew Cream
- 1 teaspoon grated horseradish
- 1 bunch of tarragon leaves, torn
In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes, nectarines, and cucumber together with the balsamic vinegar and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, stir together the cashew cream and horseradish with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Put some dollops of cream on a large plate (or individual ones), arrange the salad nicely on top, and scatter the torn tarragon leaves on top.
Savory Cashew Cream
Yield: about 2 ¼ cups
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or the juice of ½ lemon
Place the cashews, vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, and ⅔ cup water in a high-speed blender and blitz until very smooth. If you want the cream to be more liquid, add a tablespoon of water at a time to thin it out. Add other flavorings of your choice.
Store the cream in a glass container in the fridge for a maximum of three days.
Source: Vegan in 7, Delicious Plant-Based Recipes in 7 Ingredients or Less by Rita Serano [Kyle Books, 2018]